Abbey of Santa Maria di Staffarda
After Saluzzo, in our trip, we kept the original idea to visit the Abbey of Staffarda, unfortunately the weather did not help us.
Actually the site does not look in optimal conditions, especially internally, as we see in photographs of the windows.
The atmosphere were serene, peaceful, suspended in time of a site so rich in history.
Staffarda Abbey was built around A.D. 1100 on land donated by the Marquis of Saluzzo Manfredo to the monks of the Order Cistercense to make it a center of reclamation for the surrounding countryside.
Within a short time, in the Piedmont area, four other Cistercian abbeys were raised.
In this territory, August 18 1690 took place in the bloody battle of Staffarda between Vittorio Amedeo II of Savoy and the French General Catinat, with extensive damage to the architecture of the Abbey of Staffarda.
In 1750, with permission of Pope Benedict XIV, the Abbey was given to the Order of Saints Maurice and Lazarus, created by the Dukes of Savoy.
All of the buildings of Staffarda presents a rather complex system building, which is strongly altered in the course of nine centuries.
- the images have been realized using a digital SLR Canon 450D, wait to load completely the page before click on the photos, be aware that it can take several seconds -
- Abbey of Staffarda pictures / Piedmont / Italy – portfolio © www.artphotoasia.net -