The second stop of the trip in Liguria, after a quick sandwich, was Dolceacqua, a beautiful medieval village in the Nervia valley.
The oldest part of Dolceacqua is dominated by the Castle of the Doria.
The most modern part is developed on the opposite bank.
Dolceacqua apparently existed since Roman times, archaeological studies confirm that fortifications were manned from the fourth century B.C., to protect the villages, pastures and fields.
In the twelfth century the nobles of Ventimiglia built the first nucleus of the castle, so in this they could control the access in the surrounding valleys.
The castle will be purchased in 1270 by the Genoese Oberto Doria and expanded in later centuries.
During the conflict between the Guelphs and Ghibellines and rivalry between the Doria family and Grimaldi family of Monaco, in the course of 1524, Dolceacqua went under the protection of the House of Savoy who erected later as Marquis in 1652.
In 1815 it was annexed to the Kingdom of Sardinia and later to the Kingdom of Italy in 1860.
- the images have been realized using a digital SLR Canon 450D, wait to load completely the page before click on the photos, be aware that it can take several seconds -
- Dolceacqua pictures / Liguria / Italy – portfolio © www.artphotoasia.net -