Boston’s Granary burying ground
Founded in 1660, located on Tremont Street, the Granary Burying Ground of Boston is the third-oldest cemetery.
It is the final resting place for many notable class Revolutionary War-era patriots, including three signers of the Declaration of Independence and the five victims of the Boston Massacre.
The need for the site arose because the land set aside for the city’s first cemetery, King’s Chapel Burying Ground, was insufficient to meet the city’s growing population.
Boston ‘s Granary burying ground was originally part of the Boston Common which then encompassed the entire block, but two years after the cemetery was established the southwest portion of the block was taken for public buildings, which included the Granary and a house of correction and the north portion of the block was used for housing.
Boston ‘s Granary burying ground tombs were initially placed near the back of the property and on 15 May 1717 a vote was passed by the town to enlarge the Burying Ground by taking part of the highway on the eastern side.
The enlargement was carried out in 1720 when 15 tombs were created and assigned to a number of Boston families.
- the images have been realized using a digital SLR Canon 450D, wait to load completely the page before click on the photos, be aware that it can take several seconds -
- Boston pictures / USA – portfolio © www.artphotoasia.net -